3 questions to ask before buying an electric truck


You’ve determined to purchase the primary 100% electrical truck to your transportation enterprise. You wish to do your half in lowering greenhouse gasoline (GHG) emissions, and see evermore fashions launched to the market. However you could not know the place to start out.

Battery administration, charging infrastructure, particular operational wants, route planning, and charging stations all must be addressed.

Listed here are three of the primary inquiries to ask your self earlier than making your alternative.

1. What are your operational wants?

What do you wish to use the truck for, what will probably be delivered, and the place? These are the primary inquiries to be answered. With a variety that’s nonetheless relative — usually between 180 and 400 km — at present’s battery-electric vans are greatest fitted to city and regional functions.

InnovHQ, the Hydro-Québec division that provides charging options for electrical car fleets, notes that the precise vary of a truck’s batteries will truly be 90% to 95% of the producer’s said most cost. Drivers can’t entry the remaining 5% to 10%.

Whereas weights together with tools and cargo alike will play a task in calculating vary, the supply and velocity of any charging stations can even play a task in scheduling.

charging electric truck
Charging wants will must be thought of. (Photograph: James Menzies)

What are your charging wants?

What number of electrical vans will the corporate personal in 5 or 10 years? Will ranges require you to cost vans a couple of times a day?

If the truck doesn’t must be recharged through the day, a 240-volt AC Stage 2 terminal could also be enough. A 240-volt charger and 15- or 80-amp service will, after every hour of charging, ship the vitality wanted to journey 35 to 100 km. 

Single charging stations might be priced at $1,000 to $4,000, and value $1,000 to $5,000 to put in.

If the truck requires a mid-day refill, then a DC quick charging station will probably be required since it is going to take solely 35 to 45 minutes to ship sufficient vitality for a 150-km vary. It’s going to usually require 60-200-amp service.

The price of buying this sort of charging station ranges from $20,000 to $70,000, and set up from $10,000 to $50,000.

Do you intend to coach the drivers?

Drivers can even must be skilled in new strategies to maximise the potential ranges.

Volvo Vehicles and the Montreal-based parcel supply firm Obibox, for instance, advise drivers to heat up or settle down truck cabs earlier than disconnecting energy cords, fairly than consuming vitality within the batteries to energy the HVAC methods.

Gradual stops can even help regenerative braking methods that get well kinetic vitality and prolong car vary by as much as 35%.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here